|Bremner Duthie in '33, a Kabaret [credit: Alexander Howe]|
Solo performers almost always have to do their own marketing (or the brunt of it). Good photos are a big part of it, be it headshots, publicity pics or performance photos. It can be confusing how to format these photos. Here's some quick advice...
- Have more than one photo! Seriously.
- Have a great horizontal photo and a great vertical photo. This gives options to the outlets you might be sending these pics to.
- A graphic (like a poster or flyer) is great, but most press/media outlets cannot use it. They want clear photos of the performer, preferrably, you know, performing.
- By "clear" photo I mean don't get super artsy and apply weird filters and distortions to the pic.
- The photo should be well-lit and interesting (i.e. not you just standing there. It should imply moment or action).
- Attribute your photo correctly. Give credit where credit is due (see below)
- In the title of the pic, put your name, the show or project and photo attribution. (for instance, the photo of Bremner above is titled: "Bremner Duthie in '33 A Kabaret - credit Alexander Howe")
- And it should be hi-res (short for high resolution). How high? Here's a handy chart.
(click on chart to see it bigger)